Friday, July 24, 2015

Denim "Jeans" Card



I have another idea for a guy’s card. I recently watched a video by Melanie Muenchinger on how to do a denim technique. http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=quick+denim+technique+direct+to+paper&FORM=VIRE2#view=detail&mid=98DBD9BB081C4DD89D8798DBD9BB081C4DD89D87. I thought I would take it a step further and make a card that actually looked like a pair of jeans! I did find, however, that the newer Stampin’ Up ink pads don’t work. You need the older type pads. All you do is take any blue ink pad and drag it down across some white cardstock until you get the shade you want. I used Pacific Point. I layered the pieces so I would have functional pockets to put the money in.

Here are the instructions:

I would recommend doing the denim technique on a full sheet of white cardstock and then cutting the pieces as shown in the photo. I left it white to show the dimensions. You will need the following pieces for the “jeans:”
4 x 5-1/4” piece for layer 1
4 x 4-1/2” piece for layer 2
4 x ½” for waistband
3-1/2 x ½” for zipper flap
¾” x ½” for tab to attach button to (I actually had a jeans snap in my button bin so I used that.)

For the pockets, use a 2-inch circle punch and cut a small semi-circle piece from each side of the 4 x 4-1/2 inch piece (layer 2).
After the pieces are all cut, make faux stitch marks on all the pieces.
Attach the waistband with dimensionals to the top of layer 1.
Attach layer 2 with the pockets to layer 1 with dimensionals, making sure you don’t obstruct the pockets so you can insert the cash.
Attach the zipper flap without dimensionals to layer 2.
Attach the small tab to the waistband without dimensionals and attach your button.
Attach small silver punched circles to the edges of the pockets to resemble grommets or use small silver brads.

I then attached the finished “Jeans” to a piece of black cardstock cut at 4-1/4 x 5-1/2 and then attached that to the actual card. (Cut white cardstock at 5-3/4 x 9 and score at 4-1/2). Finished card size is 4-1/2 x 5-3/4 inches. If you don’t want to layer the jeans, you can attach it directly to your card and have a card that is an actual A2 size or 4-1/4 x 5-1/2 inches.

Stamp and attach the greeting of your choice, fold the cash and insert in pockets. Done!

Note: I think this would also make a cute gal’s card by using rhinestones, etc. and bling up the jeans!

No comments :

Post a Comment