Friday, August 25, 2017

Toolbelt Birthday Card & Matching Treat Box



My Dad is a retired carpenter, so I thought this toolbelt card and matching "wooden crate" treat box were fitting for his birthday!


The card base is 5-1/2 x 4-1/4 inches, top folding, in dark brown (Stampin' Up Early Expresso). The layer on top is cut to 5-1/4 x 4 inches, using one of the papers in the Stampin' Up Wood Textures DSP Stack.

For the toolbelt, I cut a piece of kraft cardstock at 5 x 2-1/2 inches, rounding the corners with a 1/2 inch corner rounder. For the pockets, I cut two pieces 2 x 2-1/4 inches, and rounded those corners as well. I used a 1-3/8 inch circle punch to punch out a small portion of the top on the 2 x 2-1/4 inch pocket pieces. I attached the pockets to the toolbelt using a very thin bead of glue around the two sides and along the bottom, leaving the top open.

I added two small belt loops on the side and in the middle between the two pockets. I used a 2-inch strip of kraft cardstock, lightly curling it with a pencil or bone folder. Just make it large enough to go around whatever you want to insert in the loop.

I used a dark brown marker (Stampin' Up Early Espresso) to make the faux stitching around the toolbelt and the pockets. I added some silver brads to the bottom corners of the pockets and the two top edges of the toolbelt.  I attached the toolbelt to the card using dimensional adhesive tape.

I used some yellow washi tape that looks like measuring tape. I can't remember where I got it, but I checked on Etsy and there are several different ones available. I wrapped the washi tape around the wood DSP before attaching that layer to the brown card base.

If you have a tool die cut set, you can make a fast job of cutting out the tools you want to use. I didn't have any, so I looked on line for tool clip art, resized them,  printed and cut them out. For the ruler, I just added some of the same measuring tape washi to a piece of cardstock.

The birthday sentiment is from the Tin of Cards stamp set by Stampin' Up. I used some letter stamps I had to stamp out "dad" and cut those out with a 1/2 inch circle punch, and added the letters to the bottom left pocket on the toolbelt.


The "wooden crate" treat box is created with a simple box construction. Finished box measures 2 inches high, 3 inches long, and 2 inches wide.

Start with a piece of kraft cardstock cut to 7 x 6 inches. Score at 2 inches on all 4 sides. On the 6 inch side, cut up to the score lines to form the sides of the box. Fold together and attach with glue or other adhesive. My punch wouldn't cut through all the layers of the sides, and I forgot to punch each layer first, so I simply punched out a small "handle" using a slot punch and glued it on each side of the crate.

To make the box look more like wood, I used a sponge and dark brown ink (early espresso) and sponged in streaks along all four sides of the box until I got the color and look I wanted. I added a piece of the yellow ruler washi tape around the box at the bottom.

Add any greeting you would like. I used a greeting from the Framed Love April 2014 Paper Pumpkin Kit. I cut it out using the Tags & Labels Framelits from Stampin' Up.  I added some kraft colored crinkle paper and small candy bars (Hersheys and Twix).

I have seen other toolbelt type cards on Pinterest, but this design and measurements are what I came up with. It is not complicated. The most time-consuming part is making the tools.

I hope you enjoy these projects and will give them a try next time you need a masculine card or gift!

No comments :

Post a Comment