Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Cookie Recipe from 1955!


  • I know this isn't card related at all, but I made these cookies today. My Mom used to make them when I was growing up. For some reason they sounded good today so I made them. The photo of the recipe that I posted on Facebook is hard to read, so I am posting it here if anyone wants to make the cookies:
  • 1 3/4 c. sifted flour 
  • 1/2 t. soda 
  • 1/2 t. salt 
  • 1/4 c. Crisco 
  • 1/4 c. butter or margarine 
  • 1 unbeaten egg 
  • 1/2 t. vanilla 
  • 1/4 c. buttermilk or sour milk (1/4 c. regular milk with 1 tsp vinegar added) 
  • 1/2 c. coconut (I used oatmeal because I didn't have any coconut and my husband doesn't like it) 


  1. Stir together dry ingredients and set aside. 
  2. Cream shortening, butter, egg and vanilla. 
  3. Add dry ingredients alternating with milk. 
  4. Stir in coconut (or oatmeal) 
  5. Chill dough for one hour, then drop by teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto greased baking sheets. 
  6. Bake at 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes. 
  7. Cool completely and then cover tops with chocolate frosting. I just made a cocoa, butter, vanilla and powdered sugar frosting, on the thin side, and frosted the cookies with the back of a spoon. Hope you enjoy this blast from the past as much I did today with my coffee on this snowy day! (P.S. The recipe says it makes 3 dozen cookies, but I only got 2 dozen.)

No comments :

Post a Comment